The Commemorative Sculptures
The Arrivall has Arrived
The Battle of Tewkesbury, and in particular those who fought and died in it, are now commemorated by a spectacular oak sculpture named ‘The Arrivall’. After many formalities over many years it has now been installed at the A38 Stonehills roundabout just south of the town and overlooks the original battlefield site. The sculpture consists of two timber framed horses. One a mounted knight, known as Victor, who represents the victorious Yorkist forces of King Edward IV and is located on the roundabout. Across the carriageway he faces the riderless horse Vanquished who represents the Lancastrian forces. His head is bowed in defeat and exhaustion from the battle. Both have lances, from which pennants swing gently in the breeze.
On Sunday 4th May they will be dedicated by the vicar of Tewkesbury abbey and formally gifted to Tewkesbury Borough Council from the Tewkesbury Battlefield Society.
These imposing figures were designed and constructed in the Forest of Dean by the sculptor Phil Bews and the designs on the pennants were compiled by Diane Gorvin from motifs generated by children attending Tirlebrook School, Tewkesbury in a workshop run by the artist.
Who paid for it?
The whole project has been funded through efforts of the membership, from securing generous grants from charitable bodies to organising fund raising events. These included an auction and quiz, and ‘Poems and Pints’ evenings at Theoc House. A tombola stall, Bric-a-brac sales in the town hall and even a barn dance. All helped to raise both funds and awareness.
A very unique group of supporters have been the ‘1471 Fraternity’. These are individuals and businesses, who have given either £14-71p, £147-10p or £1,471-00p to bolster the funds and have been given Bronze, Silver or Gold status respectively. Their names have been recorded in a book, to be kept in the town museum.
A local company, Kennard Engineering, undertook to produce most of the metalwork for the project, including cutting the designs into the pennants. They transferred these designs into a computer controlled cutter that used a high velocity, high precision, jet of water to cut the metal, the results are extremely impressive. Kennard carried out all this work without payment. This ‘in kind’ donation was worth several thousand pounds to the project, and represents the biggest single donation received.
Other local companies who have supported this project with their cheerful good will and considerable expertise are:
Bredon Scaffolding who erected the build frame under which the sculptures were assembled and were very accommodating when it came to extending our time scales.
Edgwicks Transport Ltd. their expertise and wholehearted involvement in moving, storing and installing the pieces.
N B Hartell Construction for their civil engineering work in laying the foundations and co-ordination with the Highways Dept.
Grail Engineering who fabricated the pennant bearings and lances.
Colin Bell, our local video artist, has been recording many differing aspects of this project. These have been edited and a voice over added before being down loaded to You Tube videos. These have been viewed over 1,500 times to date. For your viewing either go to YouTube and type in ‘Arrival 1471’ to the search area or go to http://youtu.be/mY2o_bngCjU to see the latest instalment.
If you would like to share any fund raising ideas with us, please use our contacts page.